- Constituted 1 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 506th Parachute Infantry.
- Activated 20 July 1942 at Camp Toccoa, Georgia.
- Assigned 1 March 1945 to the 101st Airborne Division
- Inactivated 30 November 1945 in France.
- Redesignated 18 June 1948 as the 506th Airborne Infantry.
- Allotted 25 June 1948 to the Regular Army.
- Activated 6 July 1948 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky.
- Inactivated 1 April 1949 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky.
- Activated 25 August 1950 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky.
- Inactivated 1 December 1953 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky.
- Activated 15 May 1954 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
- **Relieved 25 April 1957 from assignment to the 101st Airborne Division; concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 506th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
- Withdrawn 16 March 1987 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System.
- Redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 506th Infantry Regiment
NOTE - the following awards have not yet been added to this Lineage:
On 15 March 1956, the 506th was redesgnated as the 506th Airborne Infantry (Combat Group) under the plan called ROTAD, Reorganization of the Airborne Division. The 506th took part in the reactivation ceremonies for the 101st Division on 21 September 1956, at Fort Campbell.